Tuesday, August 18, 2015

PDX Marathon: Week 11 (8 weeks out)

Got myself injured this week on the Wednesday trail run. Slammed my left heel into a pointy rock on a descent. I missed Thursday's run as a result, but was back at it Friday. However, it's Monday night and it's still slightly tender and swollen. Best runs by far this week were my medium-long run Monday at lunch, and my SW Portland exploration run Saturday evening.

Over the next 5-6 weeks I'm entering peak training mode in order to properly taper the last 2-3 weeks to peak at race time. Of course, this is all in theory, but I hope to nail down a speed workout, a tempo run, and a long run each week, with the occasional step back in at least one of these runs each week to prevent overtraining. I hope the get up to a 10 mile tempo run over this span and get in three runs of 20+ miles. A half-marathon would also be nice, but the only possibility is slim as it's on Karen's birthday. We'll see. Might be fun going into a marathon not having run any races in the build-up.    

Sunday, Aug 9:
Recovery run (48min, 5.7mi) - I was stiff and tired this morning. Not great sleep due to chillens waking us up a couple times. Surprised I managed to roll out of bed really. Took me forever to warmup, but I did, and the last fifteen minutes I was good to go. Found a great little gem of a coffee shop tucked away in a neighborhood down the road. Looking forward to checking it out. (P31)

Monday, Aug 10:
Medium-long run (94min, 12mi) - Did this one at lunch time. Can't do it often but I did today. Thought about doing some VO2 max fartleks today, but my body was telling me no. So, I just went long and easy and toured the Sellwood and Westmoreland neighborhoods. Happy with my decision on this run. (1500s)

Tuesday, Aug 11:
AM ride (20min, 5.3mi) - Took Terwilliger
Yoga (60min)
PM ride (~45min, 24min uphill) - Took my route up to Fairmount. This one was kind of an ass kicker for me today. I was struggling towards the top and was out of the saddle a fair bit. Just what I needed today though.

Wednesday, Aug 12:
Hilly trail run (64min, 6mi) - Colin and I switched the route up a bit today. I felt great but kept the effort under control in order to hopefully get in 8 miles of tempo tomorrow. Unfortunately, I heeled a pointy rock today on one of our descents and it's had lingering effects. There is some swelling and it hurts. Think I twisted my ankle a bit too because it's sore on the lateral side. Status check tomorrow. (TNF TRII)

Thursday, Aug 13:
Day off - Heel is causing me to limp around so I took the day off.

Friday, Aug 14:
Tempo run (57min, 8mi/6mi tempo) 6:46, 6:25, 6:24, 6:38, 6:28, 6:27 - So my heel was still tender and swollen today, but only when walking. When running on the balls of my feet it was barely noticeable unless I was going downhill, so I picked flat route and went for it. Originally, I had an 8 mile tempo planned, but I kept it tame due to my injury. Since I shortened the length I tried to push the pace a little bit to boost the training effect. This was not an easy run for me, but I was happy I was able to hold pace under 6:30 for most the mile splits. I intentionally threw in a slower mile 4 just to see if I could get myself to back off closer to MP and feel okay, and then push it again. Overall, considering I was unable to run the day before I'm happy with this effort. (Zante)

Saturday, Aug 15:
Exploration easy run (75min, 9mi) - I went on an exploration run on mostly new streets from our house to Multnomah Village to Burlingame and back another route up passed Wilson High School. I needed this and it was a perfect evening for it. Very hilly route but I took it nice and easy. This was definitely a rejuvenation run for the soul and spirit of running. (P31)

Weekly Totals:
- 468 total minutes
- 343 minutes run (5)
- 85 minutes bike
- 60 minutes yoga

No comments:

Post a Comment