Tuesday, July 28, 2015

PDX Marathon: Week 8

Kind of a standard week for me. I'm happy with my effort on the trail run and with the tempo run on Thursday. I need to start stretching things out a bit, but training is tougher now that I'm working full time, and we're just busier in general. That said, I also feel I might be benefiting from not running quite as much. Body feels a little better, and I'm not as obsessed as I was heading into Boston. Plus, I have to be getting stronger and fitter with all the damn hills I'm running. Need a big week next week though just to prove to myself I can do it. 

Sunday, July 19:
Long Progression Wildwood Trail run (110min, ~13mi) - This was a killer run in the extreme heat (near 100F) of the afternoon. The forest was considerably cooler. Took a nice nose dive shortly after the halfway turn around point. Somehow managed to run away without a scratch, but lost nearly half the water in my larger handheld bottle when I landed on it. I crushed this run apparently. I thought I came back much faster than I went out, but it was only a negative split by a minute or so (hard to know for sure because I lost some time after my crash). A nice hard long run like this on the trails has to have an equal or greater training effect than an steady 18-20mi long run. Regardless, it's more fun and better for the soul, and I will be where I need to be by marathon time on Oct. 4. (K4 - fun trail shoe)

Monday, July 20:
*Have a little lingering tendinitis in my right calf from Friday's run, so no run today.

AM ride (20min, 5mi)
PM ride (29min, 6.75mi) - Took a mini detour home, but kept it easy for the most part.

Tuesday, July 21:
AM run to work (38min, 4.7mi) - This felt good spiritually. Little tired though. (Zante)

PM run home (50min, 6.2mi) - Planned on going hard back up Terwilliger, but wasn't really feeling it, so I chose to go steady hard(ish). I had a couple sections where I picked it up for a minute or two at a time but chose to listen to my body. The total time on my feet running today provided stimulus enough. Also thinking of going hard uphill to Council Crest on Thursday, plus there's the weekly trail run tomorrow. Also also, best to take it easy on my niggling calf/tendon. I like having a day where I run to and from work. Building up to 2+ days would be nice. (Zante)

Wednesday, July 22:
Hilly trail run (65min, ~6mi) - Marquam Trail system with Colin. (1400s)

Thursday, July 23:
Tempo run (65min, 9mi) - 2mi easy, 6mi tempo, 1mi easy
*6:55, 6:50, 6:41, 6:42, 6:36, 6:34
-I was feeling a little tired and off today so I eased back on the pace just a bit. In the end, it was a decent little marathon pace type run. I'm happy I've been consistently building on these tempo runs because I think they're really going to help my marathon performance. If I can keep stretching these out and get a couple long runs at marathon pace I like my chances heading into the Portland Marathon. (Zante)

Friday, July 24:
Yoga - 60min

Saturday, July 25:
Easy run (50min, 5.6mi) - Ran from home early this morning through Gabriel Park and into Woods Park. It was nice to be out early, but other than I was not into this run this morning. I was tired and a bit sore and stiff. Haven't had a run from beginning to end like this in a long time, where I just never got into it or loosened up. The fact I felt like this the day after an off day is a bit odd, but not completely unheard of. It happens. (P31)

Weekly Totals:
- 487 total minutes
- 378 minutes run
- 49 minutes bike

No comments:

Post a Comment