Wednesday, July 22, 2015

PDX Marathon: Week 7

I'm happy with this week overall. My minutes run were down because I shortened my Sunday "long" run way down and went hard instead. My mid-week runs were varied in terrain and pace, and reasonably long for mid-week runs. Three quality runs for the week. That's good. Things are starting to come around. Need to get at least three 20+ mile runs in over the next eight weeks. Or, trail runs in the 150 minute range. 

Sunday, July 12:
Uphill tempo run (56min, 19min uphill tempo, 7mi) 3min uphill, 10min, 5min, 1min - Last day of a step back week. Eased back on the mileage but hammered it hard on the uphills at tempo while pushing #1 (~40lbs) in the stroller from one end of Terwilliger to the other and back. In this case, we went from Barbur to Duniway Track. The way back is somewhere between 600-700ft of elevation gain over the course of 3.5 miles, which is just enough uphill to hurt but still maintain a steady pace. Add to that a stroller and a forty pound #1, and you got yourself an arse-kicker of a workout. And it was hot. (Zante, love them)

Monday, July 13:
Fartlek VO2 max run (49min, 6.6mi) 15min easy, 5 x 3min Hard/2min easy, 9min easy - From work down to Sellwood. These types of workouts have typically been tough for me the past year, but today wasn't bad. My hard repeats were around 5k pace (~6:00), which is a touch slow for this kind of workout, but at this point I'm just looking for as many different paces as I can get during the week. Variety, pace, and strength are key for me this training cycle. Not going to be able to log as many weekly miles this time around, so getting tougher and faster are key. At least that's what I've convinced myself for now. (P31)

Tuesday, July 14:
AM run to work (40min, 5.2mi) - Good morning for a run to work. (Zante)
Yoga (60min)
PM ride home (20min, 4.6) - Straight home.
  *pull ups x2

Wednesday, July 15:
Hilly trail run (56min, ~5.3mi) - Played on the Marquam Trail circuit with Colin after work. We had a couple nice steep sections, but no real big extended climbs other the first one straight up right out the gate. Shredded several downhill sections. (1500s)

Thursday, July 16:
Easy run (57min, 7mi) - Down to Sellwood and back after work. Easy felt good. (P31)

Friday, July 17:
Tempo run (59min, 8mi) 2mi easy, 5mi Tempo, 1mi easy 
*6:47, 6:43, 6:31, 6:47, 6:20 (throw down)
-Building up the length of my tempo run a mile at a time. I like it. I'm finally starting to dig these runs and I'm well ahead of my Boston training in terms of this type of fitness. Would like to build these up to 8mi-10mi and then start ramping up the intensity if I can handle it. Wasn't feeling super smooth today, but did manage to find a rhythm the back half of the tempo. Lunch run. (Zante)

Weekly Totals:
- 397 total minutes (counting yoga now)
317 minutes run
- 20 minutes bike
- 60 minutes yoga

No comments:

Post a Comment