Sunday, September 13, 2015

PDX Marathon: Week 14 (5 weeks out)

I finished this post days ago and simply never got to publishing it. Better late than never I suppose. 

Monday, Aug 31:
Fartlek run (61min, 8.3mi) 6 x 4min Hard w/ 3min jog 
Intervals: 5:56, 6:02, 6:03, 6:01, 5:49, 5:55
- I felt pretty good for this run coming off a rest day on Sunday. I programmed my watch for an interval workout and while I'm doing the session I have no way of knowing exactly what pace I'm running, so I'm happy with my overall consistency of effort and pace for each 4min rep. This is the type of workout I hated and would've kicked my butt a year ago, but I'm loving these types of runs these days. Hoping to get one or two more of these sessions in before race day, perhaps 5 x 5min, and then maybe 6 x 5min.

Tuesday, Sept 1:
Very sick today - day off

Wednesday, Sept 2:
Trail run (66min, 6.5mi) - Marquam circuit with Colin. (1500s)

Thursday, Sept 3:
Trail run (72min, 7.5mi) - More Marquam, but lots of hills today and some up-tempo. I had 9 miles of tempo scheduled for today, but running trails with Colin sounded more fun so I went with my gut. Obviously, not the best choice for marathon specific training at this point, but whatever. (Zante)

Friday, Sept 4:
Easy run (54min, 6.4mi) - Very easy and very slow down to Sellwood Bridge and back along the waterfront trail after work.

Saturday, Sept 5:
Long run (167min, 21.3mi, 7:50 pace) - Took it deep this morning, but this was a very tough run for me. I knew I would only be "semi" into it, so I chose a new route. I took Terwilliger south to Lewis and Clark and then merged onto the path through Tryon Creek State Park. I ran through the park and out the south end to Lake Oswego and was still only at 6 miles or so. Then, I basically just ran all over Lake O and down Iron Mountain Road, and then arduously back up through Tryon Creek. This was a hilly route and I had some minor GI issues going on. It was definitely not my best effort ever, but I put the work in and got it done. (Zante)

Weekly Totals:
- 420 total minutes
- 50 miles, not very much


I got to tuck into this bad boy from Pine State Biscuits after my sufferfest long run on Saturday. For those who don't know, this place went from a little stand at the Portland Farmer's Market a few years ago, to a local empire of guilty pleasures these days with three locations around town that routinely see lines out the door. This beast happens to be The Chatfield - fresh biscuit, fried chicken, bacon, and cheese top with copious amounts of yummy apple butter. I'd never had one of these particular sandwiches before, and needless to say on this day it hit the spot. 





No comments:

Post a Comment