Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Road to Oregon: Abridged Version

So, I didn't have much time to write while I was on the road with Carter. Any free time I did have I didn't want to spend sitting in front of a computer. My plan was to spend some time writing once I was back in Oregon, but between getting things settled in our new home, blasting hills whenever possible, and work (surprising twist in the narrative), there has been very little time leftover for anything else. I haven't even gone through all the pictures I took along the way.

Hopefully someday I'll put a piece together that includes both pictures and narrative, but I didn't take any notes along the way and the finer details are starting to fade. Perhaps I'll compose more of a photo essay, or maybe going through the photos down the road will spark a flame. 

Just now as I write this I'm reminded of the horrible case of pink eye I contracted from #1, which manifested in vicious way on Day 2 due to wearing contacts on my morning run. Even though it was like living in a cloud the entire time I was there, Colorado, and more specifically, Boulder, did not disappoint. The Adventure Lodge (A-Lodge) located just up the canyon from downtown Boulder was a perfect spot for us. The trails were sloppy and muddy, but we got out and did our best. It seemed as if I was always running either up or down, never flat. I know now why runners from Boulder are so bad ass. The drive into Arches National Park coming from Colorado was one of the most beautiful road trip experiences I've ever had. The red rock formations juxtaposed with rugged, snow-capped mountains in the background was a first for me. We were incredibly lucky to have booked a camp sight inside the park at Devil's Garden amongst the star gazers and moon chasers, which also allowed us to drive/run around the park in the early morning and visit some of the more popular spots before the rush of the crowds hit, which they did. Our next night camping in the Wasatch Mountain Range in Utah wasn't quite as idyllic, but it was certainly worth the trip. We watched a fierce mountain storm ominously roll in from the south from our camp sight. It brought a quick bout of heavy rain, lightening, and thunder that rocked the canyon with as much might as any I've experienced. It was also here that I discovered trying to run uphill at 7000 feet is very tough for me, even at a snail's pace. 

This is just a snippet of our journey. The rest may just stay with me and Carter. I will, however, get photos up at some point. 

No comments:

Post a Comment