Thursday, March 5, 2015

road2boston: i'm back

The elliptical machine and the bike trainer at the gym can be an infuriating and mind-numbing experience. I simply can't move fast enough on the former to get my heart rate above 125 BPM, and I can't force myself to sit on the trainer long enough to get a decent workout. Over the past week I resorted to various combinations of the two to get to eighty minutes per session, which actually ended up being a nice test of mental fortitude and a nice little dose of strictly easy aerobic training. Trying to look on the bright side, perhaps this calf strain was exactly what I needed at the time.

I feel fresh, rejuvenated, and 100% focused on the task at hand in the coming weeks. And, after an easy treadmill run yesterday and a quality "tester" treadmill workout today where I smashed out 19k with 6 x 4 min hard in the middle without a hint of pain or strain, I'm officially back. Tomorrow brings a road test. I'll continue to do my hip (possible cause) and calf stretches right up until race day. With luck and due diligence, I'm hoping to come out the other side of this injury with minimal time missed and a greater appreciation for simply being  able to run.

Six weeks to go.

1 comment:

  1. How much different would (could) your running experience be if that was your "full-time job" such that all your time was split between running, mental focus training, and diet? The biggest challenge always for me is giving running (and especially the mental side of it) the time it requires when my job takes so much of my day and even more of my brain. I know it is the same for you (though I would say that you are incredibly mentally strong), and so I can't help but wonder.

    Congrats on being back to your best my friend. Five weeks to go now. Peace,
    Br.

    ReplyDelete